As a successful company that is active in the global arena, Samancor Chrome pays close attention to business ethics. These determine the way that business objectives and profitability are achieved.
Samancor Chrome's Guide to Business Conduct emphasises the importance of integrity, honesty and fairness, high performance and delivery, providing direction and a framework against which management can measure its accountability. It supports the comprehensive set of policies, standards and guidelines that the company applies for the various facets of the business, amongst which are:
Samancor Chrome commits to the highest level of governance. Our governance framework is based on a combination of the regulatory requirements in the jurisdictions in which we operate.
Striving for Zero Harm to our People and our Environment
Samancor Chrome, as is common with all mining and mineral processing operations in South Africa
, is subject to numerous laws, regulations, permits, licenses and other conditions that are designed to protect worker health and safety and the environment.
Samancor Chrome’s Safety, Health, Environment and Quality (SHEQ) policies, standards and procedures, exceed the statutory minimum levels of protection in line with the organisations strong commitment towards worker safety, protection of public health, welfare and the environment. A top to bottom approach to safety responsibility has resulted in Samancor Chrome constantly driving its leading safety performance towards the ideal of ‘Zero Harm’. This is at the core of the company’s safety policy and initiatives, which apply to our people, contractors and suppliers, visitors to any of Samancor Chrome’s sites and the broader community in general.
As a producer of chrome ore and ferrochrome products, Samancor Chrome is committed to :
- Protecting and maintaining the health and safety of all persons working for and on behalf of the organisation and the community that surround us.
- Protecting the surrounding environment in which we work, from any impact that may arises from our operation and applying the principals of sustainable management.
- Producing a product that consistently meets the requirements of our customers.
This commitment will be achieved by:
Maintenance, like safety, is key to creating predictable operations. It must create a planned and disciplined environment that ensures the maximum process availability at the lowest cost possible.
Maintenance involves everyone who uses equipment, can identify or cause equipment malfunction and who relies on reliable equipment to do their work, not just those in the maintenance department.
The vision we have for maintenance at Samancor Chrome is to make available safe and efficient operating facilities to operational staff in a way that ensures safety in use and optimises return on capital employed.
In order to realise this vision, maintenance teams will always be committed to:
- Zero harm
- Developing people by training maintenance best practice at all levels
- Never handing over equipment that is inappropriately maintained to operational personnel
- The Maintenance basics and always look for a simpler way of doing things
- Institutionalised and effective maintenance scheduling
- Disciplined maintenance workflow
- Continuous improvement of schedules with root cause analyses of the highest total breakdown costs providing the focus areas.
The key to the maintenance vision is proactivity versus reactivity, or planned versus unplanned work. All of the initiatives we develop are to take maintenance at each of the sites to a progressively safer and more planned state through proactive maintenance actions.